Engineering colleges in India churn out more than 500,000 engineers annually and every year thousands are added to that number. The harsh reality is that most of them have an engineering degree in hand, but no expertise at all. A mere 18 to 20% of these engineering graduates can actually be called employable. The problem is that our education system focuses more on quantity rather than quality. It follows the outdated approach of emphasizing more on theories and less on practical applications. Engineers are supposed to be problem solvers. They are provided the tools to solve problems using the knowledge they gained while pursuing their respective engineering courses. The majority of these engineering graduates are clueless when it comes to solving real world problems.
Alright, enough cursing the system, it is high time that we come up with a solution to change the scenario. Institutions and employers need to come together to make changes to the curriculum to meet the industry requirements. They need to do away with traditional teaching methods and realize the importance of the growing era of internet. Also, they should hire professionals from the industry as special instructors to give them real world insights into the industry.
Students have to work on their part too; they of course are a big part of the system. They have to make themselves acquainted with the fast changing economy.
They can follow certain key points for their development to make themselves employable:
- Be focused on a particular field and gain expertise in it. Just collecting certificates for short term courses won’t work.
- Create a genuine resume that reflects your individuality. Don’t copy it from the seniors.
- Take up online courses or join some company during vacations for real time experience.
- Stay aware of the current trends and changing requirements of the industry,acquire new skills to meet those requirements.
- Sharpen your communication skills and work on your confidence. You’ve got to convince your worth to your employer.
- As much as we may hate it, most companies filter out the resumes based on scores. Scoring higher marks is important for getting a job.
CADD Centre is backed by a team of experienced and professionally qualified teachers, maintaining the highest standard for facility to create the perfect environment for professional training. CADD Centre Training Services focus on initiatives to develop industry-institute partnership, courses on CAD, / CAE are updated constantly with inputs from the industry.